From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel's new configs not used?
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 20:02:03
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 15:44:51 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Compiling the kernel and modules? Replace 1 with
5 >>>
6 >>> make all modules_install install
7 >>>
8 >>> There's also the matter of the initramfs, one of the main reasons
9 >>> people use genkernel, although I prefer dracut for this.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >> until you trip over genkernel's "features" ... like AUTOMOUNT_BOOT,
13 >> which doesn't work, by design. Or NO_INSTALL, which does rather more
14 >> than just not installing ...
15 >>
16 >> I'm investigating source_mage, and ought to investigate dracut.
17 > Once you have a working kernel, there's very little to do on updates. A
18 > script that runs
19 >
20 > cd /usr/src/linux
21 > zcate /proc/config.gz >.config
22 > make oldconfig
23 > make all modules_install install
24 > dracut --kver=$(cat include/config/kernel.release) --xz
25 > update the bootloader
26 >
27 > mostly does it all, with a few frills thrown in to cover things like
28 > rebuilding modules.
33 Can you explain this part a bit?  How it knows what version for example
34 to build against?  Does it follow the link in /usr/src/linux, eselect
35 info or something else?
38 > dracut --kver=$(cat include/config/kernel.release) --xz
41 The one thing that stumps me is figuring out how to tell dracut what
42 version I want built.  I keep 2, 3 and sometimes 4 kernels of different
43 versions lurking about in /boot.
44
45 Thanks.
46