From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] perl-cleaner lerfovers
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:16:27
1 On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:26:34 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > In this specific case, all except two files come from emul-linux 32
5 > > bit and they are all safe to delete (even the two except ones). But
6 > > do note I know this becuase I've been here before and figured it
7 > > out, not becuase of some magic portage flag.
8 >
9 > Thanks Alan...
10 >
11 > So... how would one know, for sure, if and when these are safe to
12 > delete? Would that be only if I know for sure that I did not manually
13 > install these myself or put them there (which I haven't and most
14 > likely wouldn't, but would remember if I did)?
17 I don't have a recipe for this or even a rule of thumb. I usually know
18 what the files are for (or can Google it) and decide on each case
19 individually.
20
21 For perl-cleaner output, the perl version of the old install is in the
22 pathname, so I check if the corresponding file for the new perl version
23 is already installed, that tells me the old one is safe to delete. On a
24 64bit system, I know the 32bit files come from emul-linux, so I can
25 delete those too on the same basis.
26
27 For everything else from perl-cleaner, I have to figure out why I
28 changed the file myself and make sure the same change is present in the
29 new version.
30
31 It gets more complicated if you use cpan (stuff can get changed behind
32 the scenes). So the best approach is always to understand what the
33 various tools do and deal with it on that basis.
34
35 Alan