From: pat <pat@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problem with X.org after kernel change
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:14:40
1 Hi,
2
3 I want to switch from suspent2-sources to xen-sources. The suspend2-sources are
4 2.6.18-r1 and xen-sources are 2.6.16.28-r1 (btw I cannot find XEN section in
5 2.6.16.28-r2). Suspend2 kernel works fine to me, so I've installed xen-sources
6 and did this to built it:
7 1) zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
8 2) make oldconfig
9 3) make menuconfig #(following the Gentoo documentation and manula configuration
10 for separated vmlinuz dom0/domU)
11 4) update grub config file
12
13 Then I rebooted my laptop and boot XEN kernel. And there's my problem. When I
14 boot only to command line environment everything is fine, but when I try to boot
15 to X.org the start process of the X.org stopped at GDM loading. The screen stays
16 white with login field, but that's all. There's not possible to switch to text
17 console. The attachment shows the GDM state (sorry for the quality, but I've did
18 it by my cell phone :-) )
19
20 When I try vanilla-sources (2.6.17.13) kernel, I got same result :-(
21
22 Can someone point me to a solution?
23
24 Thanks a lot
25
26 Pat
27
28 P.S. My graphics card is ATI Radeon M300 in IBM TP T43 and I'm using open source
29 driver distributed with X.org.

gdm.jpg image/jpeg