From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] How reliable is ext3?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:17:36
1 > Therefore Ext2 is a perfect match:
2 > * it is so old, that I guess by now most bugs have been found and squashed;
3 > * it is so old, that virtually any Linux (or Windows, FreeBSD, or
4 > most other knows OS's) are able to at least read it;
5 > * it is so old, that by now I bet there are countless recovery tools;
6 > * it is so simple (compared with others), that someone could just
7 > re-implement a reader for it, or recovery tools;
8 >
9 > Any feedback about the Ext2 for backups? (Hope I'm not wrong on this one...)
10
11 Unexpectedly ext4 is actually rather good for embedded when compared to
12 JFS etc..
13
14 However I have been considering using ext2 on my home partitions
15 for the very reason you guess upon (it is easily recoverable by
16 testdisk rather than carving out inodes, in fact ext4 was known to have
17 this issue but traded it for other benefits when it was designed). I
18 will have to look into the performance differences but thinking about
19 it now as my IO is usually net or usb then I can't see it being
20 relevant.
25
26 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
27 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
28 universal interface'
29
30 (Doug McIlroy)