From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building static libraries
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:01:26
1 On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:40:34 -0500
2 Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > GTK+, i believe, can't be built statically as it uses dynload for
4 > themes, input methods, etc etc. Even most proprietary gtk-based
5 > software that I know of (e.g. Adobe Flash and VMWare) either are
6 > distributed with GTK+ linked dynamically or they provide their own
7 > GTK libs).
8
9 Hmm, I'll test that because I use GTK+ although it is not a GUI app.
10
11 > You can apply "-static" to CFLAGS, but make sure you have a binpkg
12 > built first, as there is a chance you may break something. You can
13 > also try passing "--enable-static" to EXTRA_ECONF. That's probably
14 > safer than the former, but the same caveat applies.
15
16 Ah, in all the years using Gentoo I have never needed EXTRA_ECONF,
17 although I've heard a lot about it on this list. It is, of course,
18 listed in make.conf man page, but since everything works here I usually
19 do not need to look at it.
20
21 Anyway, thanks for the pointer. I'm testing it right now, and it seems
22 to work so far. I'll report back when emerge is finished.
25 Cheers,
26 Renat
29 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
30 durch die sie entstanden sind.
31 (Einstein)