From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tmp on tmpfs
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 10:07:38
1 On Friday 26 May 2017 10:36:40 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 24 May 2017 15:45:45 +0300
3 >
4 > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
5 > > - smaller CPU overhead: not every i/o is being compressed, e.g. if
6 > > there is sill enough RAM available it is used without compression
7 > > overhead as usual, but if memory is not enough, swapped out pages
8 > > are being compressed instead of swapping out to disk;
9 >
10 > I found the opposite problem somehow. CPU started becomming frequently
11 > pegged in zswap for no obvious reason, while the underlying IO that zswap
12 > was doing was only measurable in kb/s , far, far, far below the noise
13 > thresholds and by no means a strain on even my crappy spinning rust based
14 > swap.
15 >
16 > And to add to that, zswap introduced general protection faults and kernel
17 > panics.
18 >
19 > So nah, I'm glad I turned that off, it was a huge mistake.
20
21 Did you also have zbud enabled at the time?
24 Regards,
25 Mick