From: Ed Jabbour <ejbr@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD trouble - can't read linux discs.
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:24:22
1 On Fri August 4 2006 18:29, dg wrote:
2 > On Saturday 05 August 2006 01:20, Ed Jabbour wrote:
3 > > Both Desktop and laptop run gentoo. Desk will boot or mount a knoppix
4 > > or other live cd. Lap, however, will do neither - mount returns "bad
5 > > superblock." The lap, strangely enough, will mount and read a Scrabble
6 > > disc for Windoze. Same with file -s; reads Scrabble fine, but barfs on
7 > > the knoppix. Any hints or pointers on where on the lap's gentoo system
8 > > to look for the difference in behaviour greatly appreciated. Thanks.
9 >
10 > Can you read (without mounting) knoppix cd on the laptop with something
11 > like dd if=<your_cd_device> of=/dev/null ?
12
13 No. But it's getting weird. I tried mounting a straight data disc - the
14 gentoo package one - and it mounted fine. So, I thought maybe the problem
15 was just with bootable discs. Trying file -s, the system froze. I
16 rebooted. Now, I have no /dev/hdc at all and lost /dev/dsp, too. So,
17 something's wrong with udev. It seems my entire system is crumbling. I'd
18 commit the heresy of reinstalling if I could boot off a CD.
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list