From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: q-reinitialize script in portage-utils-0.10
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:34:41
1 On 06/06/12 21:30, Mick wrote:
2 > Latest stable portage told me this:
3 >
4 > * Messages for package app-portage/portage-utils-0.10:
5 >
6 > * /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize has been installed for convenience
7 > * If you wish for it to be automatically run at the end of every --sync:
8 > * # chmod +x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
9 > * Normally this should only take a few seconds to run but file systems
10 > * such as ext3 can take a lot longer. To disable, simply do:
11 > * # chmod -x /etc/portage/postsync.d/q-reinitialize
12 >
13 > but it did not tell me *why* and I don't understand what "Reinitialize ebuild
14 > cache" mean.
15 >
16 > In case this makes any odds, I am using eix. Do I need the above script?
17
18 The q tool has it's own database. q-reinitialize updates it. It takes
19 0.1 seconds to complete, so you can just activate it and forget about
20 it. You can also execute it manually to see how fast it is.