From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:29:09
1 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
2
3 >> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2006/07/msg00059.html
4
5 > With "sudo su - " the man pages do not have ESC throughout. I have
6 > learned sudo su from my ubuntu days and I am only guessing that this is
7 > bad practice and that the correct command is $ sudo su -
8
9 No need to guess. Messing with superuser privileges without a proper
10 superuser environment (paths etc.) is considered bad from a security
11 point of view; for instance, an malicious application could be installed
12 in your user home dir, prepend the path to this to your local user $PATH
13 and whenever you do "su" (without -) you could invoke this app with
14 superuser privileges...
15 So to summarize: The link above (debian.org) explains it quite well and
16 yes, I would say it's a bad habit to omit -. :-)
17
18 Best regards
19
20 Peter K