From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's wrong with kde-meta dependencies?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:32:35
1 On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:13:08 +0300, Cadaver wrote:
2
3 > I tried to update my gentoo instalation with 'emerge update world' ( i
4 > have kde-meta installed instead kde), but 'kolf' (probably it is some
5 > game from kdegames) failed to build. Then I remove kolf (I don't need
6 > it) and try 'emerge --pretend world', but 'kolf' and some other not
7 > installed packages from kde appear in the list. 'equery depends kolf'
8 > shows nothig. What's wrong with dependencies and how to prevent of
9 > installing some unwanted packages?
10
11 If you don't want all of kde, you shouldn't be installing kde-meta.
12
13 1) emerge -C kde-meta - this won't actually uninstall anything.
14
15 2) emerge depclean -p - this shows which packages are now considered not
16 needed.
17
18 3) Then add the packages you do want to world with emerge -n packagename
19 Only add the packages you want, not their dependencies. Things like
20 kdelibs, arts, libkonq etc should never be in world.
21
22 4) goto 2 until the list contains only packages you don't want
23
24 5) emerge depclean
25
26 You'll end up with a much leaner system. As an alternative to having
27 every KDE package in world, you could install some of the section meta
28 packages. I install kdebase-meta, kdenetwork-meta, kdeartwork-meta and
29 koffice-meta. the rest, I choose individual packages.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Top Oxymorons Number 30: Business ethics