From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 08:08:23
1 On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 19:25:55 -0800
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > It seems like ARM processors will destroy x86 before too long. Does
5 > anyone think this won't happen?
6 >
7 > - Grant
8
9 Yes me.
10
11 ARM will take over where it makes sense and won't where it doesn't.
12
13 For desktops and laptops, x86 was used simply because there was nothing
14 else, so x86 is going to have to fight for it's survival in the
15 whole bottom and middle range there.
16
17 x86 has already lost the fight in the portable market (phones, tablets)
18 and truth be told never really got going there.
19
20 For everything else, I don't see ARM making much inroads. There's a hug
21 server market out there for things with computing grunt and the
22 software that drives them - x86 isn't going away in that market anytime
23 soon.
24
25 But this is an old, old, old argument. People predicted the demise of
26 mainframes for years when x86 started becoming a quite powerful cpu.
27 The current truth is that IBM sell more mainframes year on year, growth
28 is more than mere inflation can account for, and mainframes are just
29 getting stronger. So x86 didn't kill the mainframe, instead x86 played
30 a huge role in making both stronger. I see no reason to believe the
31 same story won't play out exactly the same all over again between x86
32 and ARM.
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com