From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what test gets done in pcre makefile to find gcc won't work?
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 07:01:24
1 On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 12:47:39AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > I ran emerge-webrsync and agreed to merge some software titles from
3 > gentoo. The first one was pcre and so far as I can tell, all went fine
4 > until the makefile tested gcc and found gcc doesn't work. At that point
5 > the emerge errored out.
6
7 I think you mean the configure script, not the Makefile? It is executed in the
8 ebuild with the `econf` wrapper function [1, 2]; its output looks like this:
9
10 checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
11 checking whether build environment is sane... yes
12 checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
13 [...]
14
15 Can you post the full output of emerge? "The gcc test" is equivocal; the GNU
16 configure script does lots of compiler tests, and it will be useful to know
17 which one fails.
18
19 > Now, it's possible everyone is using the systemd profile but I went with
20 > the default profile already used for amd64 installs so it could be that
21 > profile ran me into this particular error.
22
23 I could be very mistaken, but I think that the majority of the Gentoo community
24 uses an OpenRC profile, probably because it's the default. Gentoo supports quite
25 a few init systems, if you'd like to have a play and see which one you like the
26 most [3].
27
28 > Something else that was strange, I had the gentoo-minimal cd in use and
29 > had downloaded a stage3 file and a snapshot. The package
30 > sys-libs/timezone-data did not download in those packages and the handbook
31 > provided no instructions on downloading and installing that package before
32 > trying to set the local time. Could it be failure to use systemd profile
33 > also brought me this error as well?
34
35 Which profile have you chosen? The Stage 3 tarball consists of a system set for
36 a particular profile [4], all of which inherit the base @system [5]. The
37 `timezone-data` package is not included in any of the default profile system
38 sets, so it should not be expected to appear in a Stage 3:
39
40 $ shopt -s globstar
41 $ grep timezone-data gentoo/profiles/**/packages
42 # or
43 $ find gentoo/profiles/ -type f -name "packages" -exec grep \
44 > timezone-data {} \;
45
46 It should be pulled in a dependency of glibc, providing the `vanilla` flag isn't
47 set, but you can just emerge it manually.
48
49 $ equery d timezone-data # add `-a` after `d` for a full list
50 * These packages depend on timezone-data:
51 dev-libs/libical-3.0.8 (sys-libs/timezone-data)
52 sys-libs/glibc-2.31-r6 (!vanilla ? sys-libs/timezone-data)
53
54 Anyway, this is independent of the init system you choose. Have you had a look
55 at [6]? Find the relevant file in `/usr/share/zoneinfo` which corresponds to
56 your timezone, write its relative path to the `/etc/timezone` file, and
57 reconfigure the `timezone-data` package. To steal the example in the handbook:
58
59 $ ls -l /usr/share/zoneinfo
60 $ echo "Europe/Brussels" > /etc/timezone # Suppose you're in Brussels
61 $ emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data # Regenerate `/etc/localtime`
62
63 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/dev-libs/libpcre2/libpcre2-10.35.ebuild#n74
64 [2] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/function-reference/build-functions/
65 [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Comparison_of_init_systems
66 [4] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Stage_tarball#Stage_3
67 [5] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/profiles/base/packages
68 [6] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Timezone
69
70 P.S. You can examine the contents of `/etc/localtime`, and thus the supported
71 timezones, with the `zdump` utility from the `timezone-data` package:
72
73 $ zdump /etc/locatime
74 /etc/localtime Sun Oct 4 07:41:45 2020 BST
78 Ashley Dixon
79 suugaku.co.uk
82 DA96 D18A
83 8A7B B0D2