From: Michael Gisbers <Michael@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT overheat] How to cause shutdown on overheat
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 16:38:53
1 Am Samstag 30 September 2006 14:16 schrieb reader@×××××××.com:
2 > Group, I recently built a ventilated stucture around my 4 desktops to
3 > try to quiet things down and get rid of the heat.
4 >
5 > I made no provision for forced shutdown in case of overheat, which is
6 > quite likely to happen if, for example the main ventilation fan went
7 > down for some reason.
8 >
9 > Well, that happened due to stupidity on my part with getting used to
10 > the new setup. I fired up a computer and neglected to turn the fan
11 > on. Then left it running overnight.
12 >
13 > Well, given the confined space and very little/no ventilation (of my
14 > homemade structure) the computer got hot...
15 >
16 > Sometime this morning I see syslog messages written to tty that say:
17 >
18 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
19 > reader kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
20 >
21 > Message from syslogd@reader at Sat Sep 30 04:41:32 2006 ...
22 > reader kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
23 >
24 > [...]
25 >
26 > Some kind of attempt by kernel to cool things down. But will it
27 > actually shutdown if it gets dangerously hot?
28 >
29 > Further, how can I discover what temperatures were involved when this
30 > happened?
31 >
32 > Or can I set something to make a shutdown happen at a specific
33 > temperature?
34 >
35 > A nicer solution would be somekind of added stand alone temperature
36 > monitor in the enclosure that causes a controlled shutdown like one
37 > gets with `shutdown -h now'.
38 >
39 > Anyone here with some experience in this kind of thing that can steer me
40 > to some good information?
41
42 Just have a look to your trip_point:
43
44 mgisbers@mars ~ $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points
45 critical (S5): 95 C
46 passive: 87 C: tc1=1 tc2=5 tsp=10 devices=0xdff72dc4
47
48 When reaching 95° my computer starts to shutdown fast.
49
50 I found more Information on
51 http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/thermal.html
52