From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:48:19
1 Am 11.03.2013 14:00, schrieb Yuri K. Shatroff:
2 > On 11.03.2013 03:05, Daniel Wagener wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:53:42 +0100
4 >> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Am 10.03.2013 19:28, schrieb Daniel Wagener:
7 >>>> Hello,
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I ran into some trouble about an hour ago…
10 >>>>
11 >>>> My workstation has an onboard Realtek Ethernet which only works
12 >>>> with the r8168 driver. Unfortunately, this driver is not in the
13 >>>> kernel, but available to be compiled as a kernel module. (I guess
14 >>>> because of som patents) That worked for quite some time, until i
15 >>>> thought "hey, you got an hour of time, your workstation is still on
16 >>>> 3.7.4, why don't you just upgrade it to 3.8.2?" So I did, only to
17 >>>> find out that Linus and his friends changed the way drivers are
18 >>>> initialized… (__devinit got unsupported for example)
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Of course, the guys who wrote that r8169 have not changed their
21 >>>> code yet.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> tl;dr:
24 >>>> My network is broken since 3.8.0.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> So for an immediate fix I am emerging 3.7.10 (since emerge
27 >>>> --depclean deleted the Kernel source when it found the source fo
28 >>>> 3.7.8 which got removed as soon as 3.8.2 was emerged…) to get it
29 >>>> working again. For the long run im thinking of buying a PCI(e) card
30 >>>> with Kernel support. Or maybe, if I find some time I will fix the
31 >>>> driver myself.
32 >>>>
33 >>>> My question now is:
34 >>>> Who should I talk to so something like this does not happen again?
35 >>>> A certain gentoo dev, who could issue warnings on emerging kernels,
36 >>>> something like excerpts from the changelog? Myself, because I
37 >>>> missed what I described above? The devs of the r8169?
38 >>>> Linus & co for breaking things?
39 >>>> Myself bcause I forgot something else?
40 >>>> Realtek?
41 >>>> Or someone completely different?
42 >>>>
43 >>> so, you are using a superfluous external driver. Despite the fact that
44 >>> external drivers are prone to breaking you insist on using the latest
45 >>> kernel, instead using the latest kernel of one of the stable kernel
46 >>> series like 3.4. To add insult to injury you remove kernels after
47 >>> installing instead of after testing.
48 >>
49 >> well… I guess that sums it up… :(
52 > sorry for breaking in, but...
53 > (to Volker Armin Hemmann)
54 >
55 > 1. If this driver is superfluous as you say, then why does it ever
56 > exist in portage?
57
58 because it exists? gnome is there too. Or systemd AND openrc. mrxvt,
59 rxvt AND urxvt.
62 > 2. Since it does exist, then probably it would be much nicer to user
63 > to show him a notice when he (user) tries to compile it on a kernel
64 > which has native support for the device, or moreover an unsupported
65 > kernel installed, than blame user for that?
66
67 no, this is gentoo. You are supposed to do your homework. No training
68 wheels.
71 > 3. Why does the ebuild *not* check for supported kernel version or
72 > breaking APIs/ABIs?
73
74 why should it? See above. You can't know if in the future something
75 might change.
76 >
77 > 4. How and why would you expect to force all users to grep thru kernel
78 > src in search for a driver they might need, especially when the
79 > portage explicitly lists this driver? Also sometimes kernel drivers'
80 > description is not quite consistent and it is not easy to figure out
81 > whether it supports exactly yours card/chip/device, or moreover find
82 > it by grep.
83
84 All kernel source? grep? Nope. Just reading a bit of help text. Maybe
85 using google. Doing it once. Then you have a working setup you can use
86 for the rest of eternity (or the next couple of years...)
87
88 > 5. After all, linux and gentoo in particular are *not*
89 > developer-only-oriented systems, and it is up to maintainers or
90 > whomever to make them more user-friendly. Yes, it is not fair of a
91 > user to blame someone for breaking APIs etc. but neither it is fair to
92 > blame the user for not knowing everything as I bet nobody knows
93 > everything about linux kernel.
94
95 oh, so gentoo is for ubuntu users? Well, why not use ubuntu in the first
96 place?
97
98 But I feel generous right now. You might have a point there. That does
99 not invalidate the 'remove kernels before testing' criticism from the
100 list nor does it solve the 'insisting to use the latest kernel release
101 instead of stable series' problem.