From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] STAR options have me confused
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:18:55
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > > I want to save the backup on a USB drive on /media/sda1. Therefore I ran
4 > > > star as root like this:
5 > > >
6 > > > # cd /dev/sda1
7 > > > # star -xattr -H=exustar -c -f hda5_root1.star /media/hda5 -C /media/sda1
8 > >
9 > > This is a useless command line as -C /media/sda1 is executed after
10 > > archiving /media/hda5.
11 >
12 > Does this mean that I should have '-C /media/sda1' before '/media/hda5' ?
13
14 Using absolute paths (as you did) is a really bad idea and '-C /media/sda1'
15 before '/media/hda5' will not help you....
16
17 -C performs a chdir before processing the next arg
18
19 Useful is something like '-C /media/sda1' "."
20
21 If you like to do backups, you should tell star to archive more meta data
22 by using -dump instead of H=exustar.
23
24 -dump includes H=exustar but is more.
25
26 There are several examples in the man page and I still don't know what caused
27 your real problems.
28
29 A frequent problem on Linux is that not all files to support a specific feature
30 are present or that you first need to activate them. Did you use extended
31 attributes with other programs before?
32
33 Jörg
36 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
37 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)