From: dg <dg@××××××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Special characters in the console
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 22:16:25
1 On Saturday 05 August 2006 01:21, Paulo Roberto Candido dos Santos wrote:
2 > Hello. I'm having trouble with special characters like cedilla (ç) and
3 > others like ã and õ. I have a Gentoo server here that runs a custom
4 > enterprise software based in ncurses and slang. I'm from Brazil and these
5 > characters are common in this country.
6 >
7 > How can I enable these characters without using unicode? Yes... because of
8 > some misterious reason I can't use unicode.
9
10 Paulo,
11 You need to set your locale. Just set these in your .bashrc (or
12 to /etc/env.d/02locale for system-wide settings):
13 export LC_CTYPE=pt_BR.ISO8859-1
14 export MM_CHARSET=pt_BR
15 Then, if you are working from console, you also need to set appropriate font
16 and screenmap. Take a look at Gentoo Linux Localization Guide
17 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml?style=printable) for
18 details.
19
20 BR,