From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network printing
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:03:08
1 I haven't been able to follow all of this, though some of it has been of interest to me since I have a Vista 64 system I am trying to working with my server's HP DeskJet 950C.
2
3 From what you describe below, it sounds like the HP USB printer is on the Network Server and you are trying to attach the network server to it via IPP. If I am understanding things correctly, therein lies the problem. (If not, just ignore the next part) - just add the HP USB printer as a normal printer on the Network Server, connected via USB. On your client systems you add it as an IPP printer as the Network Server's CUPS server is the IPP host. This is what I did for my HP DeskJet 950C and I have access to it everywhere - the Vista64 system can find it, but can't locate a driver for it.
4
5 HTH,
6
7 Ben
11 ----- Original Message ----
12 From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
13 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
14 Sent: Monday, December 22, 2008 6:25:39 AM
15 Subject: [gentoo-user] Network printing
16
17 Hello,
18
19 This follows from the printing-from-windows thread; it's not confined to
20 Windows.
21
22 Thanks to Mark K for his help so far. To recap:
23
24 My network server box has two USB printers attached: a Kyocera FS1020D
25 laser, which works just fine, and an HP Deskjet D4260, which doesn't: I can
26 print to the Deskjet from the local machine but not from anywhere else.
27
28 CUPS is installed with USE="acl dbus jpeg pam perl png python ssl
29 tiff -X -avahi -gnutls -java -kerberos -ldap -php -ppds -samba -slp -static -xinetd -zeroconf"
30
31 Hplip is installed with USE="cupsddk dbus
32 doc -fax -minimal -parport -ppds -qt3 -qt4 -scanner -snmp" I ran hp-setup
33 as root, and it detected the printer and inserted it into cups, where I can
34 control it as expected using the cups Web pages.
35
36 (I've already quoted part of cupsd.conf, but I can repeat it if necessary.)
37
38 Now this is what happens today: I go to localhost:631 on my workstation and
39 attempt to connect to the Deskjet. I tell cups it's an HP model via ipp,
40 and I accept the very generic driver it offers me, and I see it's "added
41 successfully". Then I ask for a test page and I get "Unsupported
42 format 'application/postscript'!" So I delete the printer and start again.
43
44 This time I supply the .ppd file I got from linuxprinting.org instead of the
45 generic HP one, and once again I get "added successfully". But at the very
46 next screen I get "Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "Deskjet_D4260" not
47 available: No such file or directory". Yet foomatic-rip is right there
48 in /usr/bin, being part of the foomatic-filters package which was pulled in
49 by emerging hplip.
50
51 I've tried exploring the Web for trouble-shooting tips on HP printers, and
52 the best I've found is HP's own site, where I get dark hints about snmp. I
53 also half-remember having to include ldap in cups from some time ago, but I
54 can't see what either of those might have to do with my problem - am I
55 missing something?
56
57 As an aside, it really is daft of cups to report "added successfully" when
58 it has no idea of the success of the operation.
59
60 Another aside: what could cause the cups admin pages to lose their graphical
61 effects and revert to plain white background, with framed text strings
62 where the buttons ought to be? This happens quite often.
65 Rgds
66 Peter