From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is perl broken?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:44:42
1 On 05/04/2015 11:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Today's routine update included dev-lang/perl-5.20.2 and two perl virtuals.
5 > Since emerging those portage has stopped working: perl-cleaner gives it a
6 > list of 71 packages to emerge but portage does nothing with them - it just
7 > exits silently. Then perl-cleaner lists some hundreds of files that it can't
8 > do anything with.
9 >
10 > What's going on here?
11 >
12 > I've restored from last week's backup and added the offending perl packages
13 > to package.mask, but is that the right thing to do?
17 When I occasionally run into bizarre weirdness like this, I usually wait
18 one hor, re-sync and try again. If it still fails, then go looking further.
19
20 Significant updates to the CVS tree are not atomic and every now and
21 then you can do a sync while a dev is making his own updates. Especially
22 in the light that it all works fine for Mick.
23
24 If you use a third party tree mirror, you can also update against the
25 master at rsync.gentoo.org to get the very latest tree.
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com