From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] confused about suid
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:02:06
I am trying to create a script so users can execute a certain command as root
without entering a password. I thought suid was the way to do this, but I am
not having any success.

The command I want to execute as root is "echo -n mem > /sys/power/status".

I created a bash script (/usr/local/bin/suspendtoram) like so:

#!/bin/bash
echo -n mem > /sys/power/status

then set owner and group to root:root and made the script suid.

However this doesn't work. The error message goes:

/usr/local/bin/suspendtoram: line 2: /sys/power/state: Permission denied

I am still having to "sudo echo -n mem > /sys/power/status" and then to enter
a password. What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...