From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] On what to base a custom live CD?
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:11:48
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 00:02 on Thursday 25 November 2010, Grant
2 Edwards did opine thusly:
3
4 > I need to build a liveCD that boots on as wide a variety of hardware
5 > as is practical. It needs to load one custom kernel module and then
6 > run one console-mode application. Instead of building something from
7 > scratch, I was hoping I might be able to modify an existing liveCD.
8 >
9 > There's no need for support for networking, graphics, or even access
10 > to optical or hard drives.
11 >
12 > The current version of this CD is built sort of from scrach using a
13 > labor-intensive and error-prone process. However, it does produce
14 > something that's small (less that 10MB), and boots fast (around 10
15 > seconds). But, updating the existing CD with a newer kernel (to gain
16 > support for newer hardware) is difficult.
17 >
18 > I thought about using a customized systemrescuecd, but that takes ages
19 > to boot (almost 5 minutes). This CD is intended as something a
20 > customer can run to do a quick hardware test, and making them sit
21 > there for 5 minutes to see a 5-second test just isn't going to fly.
22 >
23 > I also looked at the gentoo minimal install CD, but that's still
24 > pretty slow (3-4 minutes), and it's not at all obvious how to add a
25 > kernel module to it.
26 >
27 > Does anybody have an recommendations for a good way to build a small
28 > liveCD with a custom kernel module?
29
30 damn small linux
31
32 pretty generic, comes in at under 50M
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com