From: Gustavo Campos <gucampos@××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SurroundSound, Pulseaudio & CPU Usage
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:16:24
1 Hello my fellows. Before my trouble I'll tell you a little story.
2
3 I'm a (not so happy) owner of a Audigy SE 7.1 soundcard, unable to do
4 hardware mixing. I own a 7.1 home theater system, so to hear sound
5 from all satellites I use an Alsa fake device to upmix 2.0 to a 7.1
6 stream, using the route alsa-plugin. As this uses a slave PCM that in
7 fact is a multi PCM (surround71), the sound device gets locked
8 everytime I listen to any sounds. That means I can't watch a video
9 while hearing music, flash sounds won't work either... and worse:
10 crossfading in media players refuse to work as well.
11
12 After months trying to figure out a way to hear sound with the
13 deserved freedom in my PC the only solution I found was pulseaudio.
14 Basically I route ALL sounds to pulseaudio by default, and pulseaudio
15 routes to my fake upmix device. When I want to hear a 5.1 or 7.1
16 sound, like a DVD, I have to specify the surround71 or surround51
17 devices for that, and in the end I got my soundcard locked anyway.
18 That was not a perfect solution, but I was happy enough not to break
19 my crappy creative card apart.
20
21 But I was not happy for long, so I began to be very very upset with a
22 fact: as you can see, Amarok is now using 19% of my CPU, while
23 pulseaudio is using 16:
24
25 13967 gucampos 20 0 179m 57m 28m S 19 5.7 0:14.51 amarokapp
26 14174 gucampos 20 0 18424 3488 2756 R 16 0.3 0:03.67 pulseaudio
27
28 That's a top. The commom average is 10 for amarok and 8 for
29 pulseaudio, which I still believe to be too much for my system (3.0Ghz
30 Pentium 4 Prescott, 2x512 DDR400). I thought that the realtime
31 priority of pulseaudio could be the problem, so I disabled it, and the
32 problem remains. Google returns me lots of people complaining, but no
33 actually solutions. Besides that, my sound now is a bit choppy
34 sometimes, which I believe is pulseaudio's high cpu usage fault.
35
36 My point is:
37
38 Is there any way to tell pulseaudio not to eat my cpu that much?
39 Or better: Is there a solution that would allow me to be a happy child
40 without having to use pulseaudio and it's extra layer between me and
41 my beloved hardware?
42
43 You guys can't imagine how much I played with google and alsa without
44 solution before I surrended to pulseaudio. If you show me a better
45 solution I'll feel myself stupid, but happy.
48 Gustavo Campos
49
50 Ciência da Computação / Computer Science - UFMG
51 --
52 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list