From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 01:02:54
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >
5 > > If you instantly need more space, reduce the amount of reserved space
6 > > for the superuser, which is 5% as default:
7 > > tune2fs -m 2 /dev/your/partition
8 > > Don't reduce it to 0, the lower this value is, the more fragmentation
9 > > you will get.
10 >
11 > I have a question on this. I have a drive that I use for movies and
12 > such. There is nothing OS related on that drive. Would it be safe to
13 > set this to say 1% or even 0?
14
15 I'd say 1% is okay. For 0% I'm not sure, I avoid that, but maybe there
16 will be no noticeable difference at all.
17
18 > Also, it is already set up with LVM and
19 > ext4. Can I change it even while there is data on there?
20
21 Sure! Cool, isn't it. Just call lvresize -L +1G /dev/mapper/whatever or
22 something, and then resize2fs /dev/mapper/whatever.
23
24 > I ask because I don't want to change it and find out my collection is
25 > gone. o_O
26
27 Of course, backups are always a good idea, but this is pretty safe. I
28 wouldn't worry about it.
29
30 Wonko