From: ny6p01@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP A8 laptop install
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 00:16:28
1 On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 07:12:34PM +0000, James wrote:
2 > Well,
3 >
4 > I just got this new HP A8 laptop.
5 >
6 > After setting up the default windows, I modified
7 > the bios boot order to use the internal DVD. Then
8 > I inserted a 12.0 lived DVD. It put for
9 > small gentoo symbols across the top, then went
10 > blank after 3 minutes. The DVD drive was very active
11 > for about 5 minutes then silence?
14 > Any suggestions or install guides are most welcome.
15 > It's been a few years since I installed Gentoo on
16 > a laptop and lots has change. Right now, I'm downloading
17 > the 12.1 liveDVD to see if it will boot that. Both
18 > were the amd64-multilib version. The lived DVD work
19 > on other (older) 64amd machines I have.....
20 > If not then its on to to knoppix or ubuntu to
21 > see it will boot any linux distro.
22 >
23 > Years ago, when I last did a dual boot install, there
24 > was a windows method for shrinking the windows
25 > partition. Then I repartitioned the drive and put
26 > gentoo on those new partitions. Has that approached,
27 > using grub changed? The guides I seen to be finding
28 > via google, look dated.
29 >
30 > It a dv7 model AtB11UA (6C23CL?) from Costco. I got a week
31 > or 2 to get the dual boot working correctly, or it
32 > goes back to Costco; so any advice is welcome.
33
34 You can install Gentoo using any linux live CD. I recommend the minimal
35 install CD. There's not much it won't boot on. ;)
36
37 Terry