From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:07:00
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > On 02/26/2010 06:06 AM, BRM wrote:
3 >> I am quite happy with KDE4 - presently using KDE 4.3.5. I still have
4 >> KDE 3.5.10 installed, and am wondering how much longer I need to keep
5 >> it around...I probably use all KDE4 apps, though there might be a few
6 >> here or there that I use on a rare occasion that are still KDE3
7 >> based...may be...and no, I don't plan on using KDE Sunset Overlay[1]
8 >>
9 >> Any how...I'm wondering what the best method to remove KDE3.5 safely is:
10 >>
11 >> 1) Just leave it and may be it'll just get removed?
12 >>
13 >> 2) Found this entry on removing it
14 >> http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-unmerge-kde-3-packages-if-their.html
17 >> But nothing registers as a 'dup' even though qlist does show a lot of
18 >> KDE 3.5.10 packages installed. (Yeah, I'd need to modify the line to
19 >> ensure it doesn't remove KDE 4.3.5).
20 >>
21 >> 3) Gentoo KDE4 guide suggests a method, but it seems to be more
22 >> related to removing KDE entirely...
23 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml
24 >
25 > If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply
26 > deleting all lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --depclean
27 > will take care of it.
28 >
29 > You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P
33 That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package like
34 I do, just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its thing. It
35 should get all of it.
36
37 If you want to keep something tho, you need to add it to the world file
38 first and then run --depclean. That way it will keep the program(s) you
39 want and the things they depend on but remove everything else. This
40 will save you from having to reinstall those packages. You may even
41 have to get them from the overlay at that point. So don't uninstall
42 something you want to keep.
43
44 If you have the drive space, you can leave it there for a while longer
45 tho. Just keep in mind that there are no security updates or anything
46 like that. If you add the overlay, you will get a few updates at least.
47
48 Dale
49