From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE="mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssse3 3dnow 3dnowext"
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:19:46
1 On 28 May 2009, at 21:08, Ward Poelmans wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 21:13, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk
4 > > wrote:
5 >>
6 >> I'm not absolutely sure that the USE flags enable hand-written
7 >> assembler
8 >> code, but what I do know is that:
9 >
10 > Don't make it more difficult then it is. SSE, etc means the CPU
11 > support a certain set of instructions. When you enable the use flag
12 > for it, mplayer will make use of the instructions.
13
14 But, surely "-march=" also instructs gcc to support the additional
15 instructions. Suggest you re-read Daniel's post that I was replying to.
16
17 What's the difference between supporting the "certain set of
18 instructions" with "-march=" and doing so with USEs?
19
20 Or doesn't "-march=" support additional "certain sets of
21 instructions". What does it do, then?
22
23 Stroller.