From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo on a VPS with little RAM
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 00:00:02
1 On 27/12/16 07:15, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > On 12/26/2016 03:45 PM, Francesco Turco wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello.
5 >>
6 >> I have a Vultr VPS instance with Arch Linux but I'd like to replace it
7 >> with Gentoo Linux. The last time I tried that I couldn't build some
8 >> packages because the kernel killed gcc after a while. Please notice this
9 >> VPS instance has only 768 MiB of RAM. What can I try besides removing
10 >> -pipe from C(XX)FLAGS and setting MAKEOPTS to -j1? Should I add a swap
11 >> partition? Currently there's only a single root btrfs filesystem with @,
12 >> @boot and @home subvolumes. Btrfs doesn't support a swap file as far as
13 >> I know.
14 >>
15 >> My VPS is currently used for the following things:
16 >> - Static personal website
17 >> - Shaarli (PHP application with no database)
18 >> - Tiny Tiny RSS (PHP application with database)
19 >> - ZNC server
20 >>
21 >> Thanks.
22 >>
23 > How about do a distributed compile via an SSH tunnel?
26 I recently built gcc, glibc etc on a raspberry pi model B (arm, 32G sd
27 card, 512M ram, 1G swap)
28
29 Used swap, ccache, distcc to a VM setup to cross-compile, -j1 and made
30 sure it was otherwise lightly loaded.
31
32 For a temp swap if limited by btrfs, FAQ's suggest swap over nfs (I have
33 used this at times and it can be flakey/hard to get to work consistently
34 - diskless intel atoms) or via a loopback.
35
36 BillK