From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] init script freezes when xdm (kdm) starts
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 03:11:34
1 On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Nick Cunningham <nick@××××××××××.net>wrote:
4 >> ...
7 > Ok, that net.* error may mean you have some config in the wrong place (or a
8 > really old config file). Network configs for all interfaces should go in
9 > /etc/conf.d/net and then to ensure they get started you create a symlink
10 > from /etc/init.d/net.lo to /etc/init.d/net.eth2 (in your case). Unless your
11 > creating init files for whatever reason, you should never need to edit
12 > anything in /etc/init.d/.
13 >
14 > Im interested to see what "Setting up kdm ... " is, do you use KDE or
15 > GNOME? If thats xdm then ive no idea why its starting so early, and if it is
16 > xdm then thats your problem im guessing.
17 >
18 > BTW, if your thinking of moving to openrc, make sure you read the migration
19 > guide and follow it to the letter otherwise you risk being left with an
20 > unbootable system: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
21 >
22 > - Nick
26 Thanks a lot, Nick, I'll re-emerge xdm just to make sure. But I'm also
27 having problems compiling kdebase, where kdm sits :-(
28
29 The net.eth2 (don't remember why) was made an exact copy of net.lo, so a
30 symlink just did the same job. Config files are ok (I guess) and the init
31 scripts are untouched.
32
33 Tomorrow I'm going to check the config files, though.
34
35 Thanks again
36 Francisco