From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting Photos From A Digital Camera
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:59:24
1 On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 21:37:46 -0700
2 Adrian <linuxgn2@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > Greetings.
6 >
7 > This would be my first attempt at getting photos from a digital camera
8 > with my Gentoo system.
9 >
10 > I am using a Kodak EasyShare C533.
11 >
12 > With USBViewr I can see that the system sees the camera. That part of
13 > things seems to be working.
14 >
15 > However, I've not really a clue what software to use.
16 >
17 > GPhoto2 does not list this camera as a supported model.
18 >
19 > I see there is a program called camera but it is masked.
20 >
21 > Any other suggestions? As always, my thanks.
22 >
23 > Adrian
27 Does the manual say anything about PTP or how it works with windows?
28
29 Most cameras are either usb-storage devices, OR support PTP, and PTP is generally well supported by libgphoto2 (and hence gphoto2, gtkam etc).
30
31 Your camera is not listed as supported by libgphoto, but that doesn't mean it won't be supported soon. I would try asking the gphoto2 list
32
33 http://www.gphoto.org/mailinglists/
34
35 or looking at their cvs/svn repository (assuming they allow access to it).
36
37 OTOH If usb-storage was going to work, it should work pretty easily.
38
39 googling about this camera doesn't reveal much in the way of linux info. There is a third option of course - that it it isn't standards compliant enough to work with linux at all, in which case a card reader is your best bet (unless it has built in memory that you can't put into a card reader, in which case you may be sool :-(
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list