From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Migrating RAID: Degraded RAID5 from RAID1?
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 15:32:29
1 On Freitag 27 November 2009, Dan Cowsill wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Currently I have two terabyte hard disks in a RAID1 configuration
5 > using software RAID. What I'd like to do is add a third disk and
6 > arrive at the end with a RAID5 array. The problem is I have limited
7 > disk space and not enough room to back up all of the data on the array
8 > in its current form. What I'd like to know is if it is possible to
9 > use two disks to make a degraded RAID5 array, move the data onto it
10 > from one of the mirror disks, and then add the mirrored disk into the
11 > new array?
12 >
13 > Thanks,
14 > D
17 easy, have a look at 'grow'. Oh and use google. There are a lot of examples
18 how to go from raid1 to raid5. It is easy. No disk pulling is needed.