From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The NVIDIA/Kernel fiasco -- is it safe to sync yet?
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:15:01
1 On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 27/08/2013 04:06, »Q« wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:02:32 +0200
5 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> On 26/08/2013 03:52, »Q« wrote:
8 > >>>> I doubt your wiki page idea will work, it will be just accurate
9 > >>>> enough
10 > >>>>> to look like it might work and just inaccurate enough to be
11 > >>>>> useless. Which brings you back to the previous paragraph - try
12 > >>>>> emerge nvidia-drivers and if it fails then don't use that kernel.
13 > >>> I was unclear to the point of being misleading. I'm sorry.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> The wiki idea is only for a page which tells which
16 > >>> kernel/nvidia-drivers combinations the Gentoo nvidia-drivers
17 > >>> maintainers support. And by "support", I mean they'll look into
18 > >>> bugs and fix build problems if they're able to. This is exactly
19 > >>> the info I'm grepping out of ewarn messages in their ebuilds now.
20 > >>
21 > >>
22 > >> That list is the list of kernels that nVidia supports, which is easy
23 > >> to find.
24 > >
25 > > Where? AIUI from reading various threads about this, sometimes that
26 > > info can be found in nVidia's developer web forum, but I've never been
27 > > able to find it there. nVidia's READMEs give a minimum kernel version,
28 > > but no max.
31 > So ask nVidia to clearly and unambiguously state in an easily found
32 > place what kernels *they* support.
33 >
34 > Look, all issues with building the driver shim are directly the
35 > responsibility of nVidia themselves, a result of *their* business
36 > decisions. The correct thing to do is to make it nVidia's problem and
37 > not force the community to jump through hoops trying to track down what
38 > does and does not work today.
39 >
40 > Or, you could do the heavy lifting yourself. You test all current
41 > drivers with all recent kernels and maintain a gentoo wiki page that
42 > lists the info you want.
45 Hmm... reading this thread makes me understand why Linus gave nVidia 'the bird'.
48 Rgds,
49 --
50 FdS Pandu E Poluan
51 ~ IT Optimizer ~