From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive RPMs and data speed.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:42:06
1 On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >>
4 > I have to say this.  I worked at a computer place in the late 80's.  Back
5 > then a 25Mhz CPU was fast as lightening.  Hard drives were maybe 100MBs.
6 >  Memory, lucky if you have a 1 or 2Mbs.  Now look where we are.  I'm still
7 > trying to play Steve Jobs and imagine where we will be 20 years from now.
8
9 I've got a 157MB hard drive at home. My bio-dad gave it to me earlier
10 this week in a stack of hard drives he was getting rid of.
11
12 As for 80s computers...our first home computer was a Tandy RLX 1000. I
13 convinced my mother to spend our savings on it, as I'd gotten hooked
14 on programming with an Apple ][ at school. Kinda proud of her; she
15 picked up programming quickly, took a few classes, really took to
16 databases, and now she's a manager in the IT department at the local
17 community college.
20 > I'm real bad to download videos.  I have been working on NCIS here the past
21 > few weeks.  I try to get HD when I can.  One day I hope to hook my TV up to
22 > my puter.  I have a HDMI connector on the video card and my TV has a couple
23 > on the back of it.  I just don't know yet how to make them work or if they
24 > work already.  I need to test that one day.
25
26 It's really, really easy if you've ever done multimon under Linux. A
27 television on that HDMI port will behave pretty much like a DVI
28 monitor.
29
30 >  Anyway, if I get enough stuff
31 > downloaded, I could in theory suspend DirecTv for a month or two.  Put the
32 > money on some bills.
33 >
34 > Oh, I use downloadhelper to get the videos.  It stopped working with
35 > Seamonkey 2.4 so back to using Firefox right now.  It keeps crashing tho.
36 >  Still scratching my head on that one.  ;-)
37 >
38 > Hulu works with Linux huh?  I got to remember that.  I did know that Netflix
39 > didn't tho.  I thought about trying it but they went up.
40
41 Hulu works, Netflix doesn't. Amazon may, but if you have a network
42 glitch and their server doesn't realize you're not pulling data any
43 more, you have to wait a while before you try again. At least, that
44 was my experience with them a bit over a year ago. (Real annoying when
45 you go to show something to a group of friends on a/v night. Kills the
46 mood and flow.)
49 :wq