From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What does emerge status R mean?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 10:53:52
1 On Sun, 16 May 2021 12:49:26 +0200
2 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On 5/16/21 11:28 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 16 May 2021 11:26:37 +0200, n952162 wrote:
6 > >
7 > >>>> There are no use flags defined for any of the packages I did a random
8 > >>>> check for, either on the server or the client.  I am worried that it
9 > >>>> is as you say: that the ebuild has a change of USE flags, which, of
10 > >>>> course, has nothing to do with me, the user.
11 > >>> As already stated, any USE flag changes would appear in the emerge
12 > >>> output, this is most likely caused by --changed-deps. Try with
13 > >>> --changed-use but without --changed-deps to see.
14 > >>>
15 > >>>
16 > >> I have introduced that into my build script.  But, if it's as you say,
17 > >> the one is a subset of the other, it should have no effect on the
18 > >> output, right?
19 > >>
20 > > --changed-use is a subset of --newuse. --changed-deps is separate.
23 > Ah, I oversaw that.
24 >
25 > Ah. why would I want to have --changed-deps anyway?  That suddenly seems
26 > silly.
27 >
28 > It's unfortunate, if there's no explanatory display if a package got
29 > disqualified for that reason.
33 If you want to have a binhost, then --changed-deps will become
34 "necessary" at some point. Let me draw you a picture, where a binhost
35 would fail to provide the correct package:
36 - Binhost builds on day 1 package XYZ
37 - computer that would merge with packages from binhost is NOT updated
38 - the dependencies are changed on day 2
39 - Binhost does NOT rebuild, because you do not have --changed-deps
40 enabled on day 2
41 - Computer that merges from the binhost is updated on day 2 but will
42 NOT use the binary package from binhost, because the dependencies do
43 not match
44 There are flags to ignore dependency mismatches, but the default would
45 just not use the binary package.
46
47 Cheers
48 Andreas