From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to remove gnome complete
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:10:50
1 Rumen Yotov wrote:
2
3 >On (08/01/06 15:22), Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
6 >>hello all,
7 >>
8 >>i want to test some other windowmanagers and if i find one that
9 >>satisfies me i want to switch from the gnome-desktop to this
10 >>windowmanager. So how can i remove all gnome packages. Is it save to
11 >>remove all gnome-base and gnome-extra packages and run "emerge depclean"
12 >>and "revdep-rebuild".
13 >>--
14 >>gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
18 >Hi,
19 >This is the way to go, but unmerge only the "gnome-base/gnome" as it's a
20 >'meta-package' for whole 'gnome' DE. Then run: 'emerge depclean -pv'.
21 >Check the packages and unmerge them in smaller groups after which run
22 >'revdep-rebuild' to check for unmerge errors.
23 >If you more confident look at gnome dependencies (in the gnome-ebuild).
24 >PS:Consider removing (also) the gnome USE-flag from /etc/make.conf but later
25 >will have to re-emerge some packages (due to changed USE flag).
26 >HTH.Rumen
29 I did something similiar a little while ago. I never installed Gnome
30 but I did not unset the gnome in the USE line so they were pulled in as
31 dependancies. Make sure you run revdep-rebuild -p afterwards. You may
32 have some things that you will have to re-compile. Make sure you have
33 -gnome in your USE line. I think you have to put -eds, -gtkhtml and
34 -bonobo in the USE line as well. Recheck that to make sure. Your
35 mileage may vary by what you actually want to keep. You can view the
36 descriptions in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc to make sure.
37
38 I also did this once to. emerge -ep world | grep gnome just to make
39 sure I had all the gnome base stuff. It will show up if you missed
40 something. May take a while on a slower rig.
41
42 Hope this helps.
43
44 Dale
45 :-)
48 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
49
50 I have four rigs:
51
52 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
53 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
54 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
55 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
56
57 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list