From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X crashes with nvidia-173 driver
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:17:12
1 > nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030000
2 > 0xffffffff 0x0
3 > nvidia 0x000010de 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x00030200
4 > 0xffffffff 0x0
7 The lines in my modules.pcimap are identical.
8
9 FWIW, I mentioned previously that startx precipitated a total crash;
10 not so, having installed the sound drivers it is clear that only X
11 crashes and SysRq works to get me backto a console. Also, been reading
12 the recent hal + nvidia thread. Definite similarities to my situation.
13 I emerged xorg with hal support but I tried with the hal daemon off
14 and it didn't help. I also tried the very brief, five line, xorg.conf
15 file suggested no help, no change.
16
17 I also note something eerily similar in my netbook which has only a
18 builtin intel vid chip. In this case X starts fine but then, after a
19 period of time, could be as short as 15 mins or as long as 8 hours the
20 desktop goes blank, ususally black but once grey. I can migrate to the
21 first console and turn off theX server but I have to reboot to get
22 back to the desktop. Running startx again just leads back to a blank
23 screen. Every thing else, sound card, wireless seems to work OK.
24
25 mw