From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 14:06:52
1 On Thu, 21 May 2015 09:19:26 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > >> You mean: copy grub.conf to grub.cfg and change its syntax to suit
4 > >> GRUB2? I'm well used to hand editing grub.conf, so it'll be no big
5 > >> change to operate on grub.cfg instead. I can cope with that.
6 > >
7 > > You'd need to run grub2-mkconfig once, to generate a grub.cfg to which
8 > > you can add your entries.
11 > It is just a text file. I think the only challenge is that there
12 > aren't a lot of decent examples floating around because all the docs
13 > tend to say to run grub2-mkconfig. I found this extremely frustrating
14 > when I first migrated to grub2.
15
16 Same here, but running grub2-mkconfig generates a better starting point
17 than an empty file. That's your example.
18
19 > In my case grub2-mkconfig wouldn't
20 > find anything, since it looks at filenames and my kernels/initramfs
21 > files didn't follow any standard naming convention (they were not
22 > installed using make install). These days I do use grub2-mkconfig.
23 >
24 > That said, the canned config files output by grub2-mkconfig are a bit
25 > smarter about auto-setting things like the grub2 root. I wouldn't
26 > bother putting anything in 40_custom though. Just run it once and
27 > edit the file.
28
29 That's certainly an option if your needs are not going to change. If you
30 need to edit the file from time to time, I'd prefer to just edit the
31 short file tweaked to my needs than the whole thing. It's really a matter
32 of personal choice but one advantage of continuing to use grub2-mkconfig
33 is that if GRUB upstream changes things, your config will keep track.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Save the whales. Collect the whole set.