From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any consequences to package.mask'ing newer kernels?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 20:50:11
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
2 > On Sonntag, 1. April 2007, b.n. wrote:
3 >> Hemmann, Volker Armin ha scritto:
4 >>> In almost every kernel release a security problem is found, that is fixed
5 >>> in a stable release.
6 >> Stable release? AFAIK, *all* 2.6.x releases are stable releases.
7 >
8 > No, they aren't. There are the 'normal' releases (for example 2.6.20) and
9 > the 'stable' releases which fix important bugs and security holes (like, for
10 > example 2.6.20.2).
11
12 Yes, I know that. I didn't call them "unstable" and "stable", that's why
13 I was confused, however I know.
14 Now my questions are:
15 1)I only see gentoo-sources-2.6.X-rY, I never see
16 gentoo-sources-2.6.X.a.b-rY .What am I installing when I install
17 gentoo-sources-2.6.x-rY?
18
19 2)How do the binary distribution people cope with this?
20
21 >> The
22 >> days of double trees (2.4.x and 2.5.x) are gone.
23 >
24 > Today we have at least 4 trees.
25 > Linus.
26 > Morton.
27 > The 'stable releases' (2.6.XY.Z)
28 > Bunk's 2.6.16.XY
29
30 Well, there have ALWAYS been a lot of different trees, but Morton, for
31 example, AFAIK is not an "official" tree (although it is maintained
32 closely to the official).
33
34 However that's just nitpicking. :)
35
36 >>> Which risk? Which mess? There is not a risk, if you use oldconfig.
37 >> oldconfig doesn't always work well between major releases (2.6.x vs
38 >> 2.6.x+1).
39 >>
40 > I works like a charm for me....
41
42 Not for me. And I've sometimes read of newer kernels breaking things on
43 the gentoo mailing list. Upgrading a kernel is never straightforward,
44 imho (maybe it's me being unexperienced, however it's my years-old only
45 desktop box and I hate to b0rk it).
46
47 m.
48 --