From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 16:36:18
1 On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:25 AM Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 10:15:09 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >
6 > > I'm still puzzled at why creating an asound.conf enabled - phonon? - to
7 pick
8 > > the right device. Alsa is not installed here, apart from alsa-lib; no
9 > > applications.
10 >
11 > Well, that was a hostage to fortune. Today, after a reboot and power
12 cycle for
13 > maintenance work, I'm back to having no sound.
14 >
15 > I suspected the devices of having been detected in the wrong order, but
16 /proc/
17 > asound/cards seemed to be pointing to the right one. Besides, it seemed
18 > unlikely that a USB device would be found and set up before the device in
19 the
20 > display controller.
21 >
22 > Next was to blacklist all the intel* modules and reboot again. Just the
23 one
24 > card found now, the USB device. Still no sound.
25 >
26 > Have I to go the PulseAudio route after all?
27 >
28 > --
29 > Regards,
30 > Peter.
31
32 Sorry for your problems. I thought we were done with this also.
33
34 No, I don't think you should add pulseaudio. It might be a good solution in
35 the end, if you want to have both the USB and HDMI sound paths or you just
36 want more visibility when you are using multiple sound application. (If you
37 ever do) However if you just want USB then blacklist snd_hda_intel and you
38 should have only 1 sound card, the USB device which is my understanding of
39 where you are now.
40
41 This seems to vary from USB to USB device but does alsamixer give you any
42 control over the device? Possibly the volume is just off?
43
44 You can determine which card (if any in your case) is being fed audio by
45 watching different versions of the info file:
46
47 cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/info
48
49 That path name can vary a bit with multiple cards in the system but it you
50 only have one it's hopefully pretty close.
51
52 When audio is not playing the last line should tell you you have a
53 subdevice available. When audio plays the subdevice being used becomes
54 unavailable. In your case I'd be interested in whether the audio is getting
55 to the USB device or going someplace else?
56
57 Again, sorry for your problems.
58
59 Mark