From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update BIOS with 4MB .exe
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:06:01
1 Am Montag, 16. April 2012, 03:14:15 schrieb Grant:
2 > I'm amazed this is so difficult but I've just spent 3 hours trying to
3 > update the BIOS on my Dell XPS 13 and hit nothing but dead ends. The
4 > root of the problem seems to be that the 4MB BIOS update file is too
5 > large for the available 1.44MB DOS boot disks. Apparently FreeDOS had
6 > a LiveCD available at some point but it has reportedly been
7 > unavailable for quite some time.
8 >
9 > The following method looks promising but it also doesn't work. DOS
10 > can't seem to execute the .exe file which sits outside of the boot
11 > image:
12 >
13 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/FreeDOS_Flash_Drive
14 >
15 > Does anyone know how to do this?
16 >
17 > - Grant
20 download systemrescuecd
21 install it on a usb stick
22
23 systemrescuecd has freedos 'on board', boot into freedos, flash.
26 #163933