From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Perms of /etc/cron.*/
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 08:46:04
1 On 29/01/2017 03:08, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-01-28 22:40, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> There are valid cases where denying read access to crontabs is
5 >> desirable, for example a command run from cron requires a password and
6 >> the only way to provide it is on the command line. Such programs
7 >> exist, and the cron app provides a way to limit exposure.
8 >
9 > I have to disagree. By this argument, /sbin and /usr/sbin shouldn't be
10 > readable either.
11
12 The whole Unix file ownership and permissions area is one huge
13 compromise, mostly caused by groups and that there can be only one group
14 owner and it cannot be null
15
16 /sbin and /usr/sbin being non-readable is a silly argument as there is
17 NOTHING root-specific about them. Those directories are just a convenient
18 way to get them into root's PATH and out of everyone else's PATH.
19
20 > The password can be in a file, and read into a shell variable.
21
22 I already said cron has to launch any script or command that exists.
23 Cron cannot dictate what form a command must have as the command already
24 exists, it can only try and improve things overall
27 > Apart from that, there's also Frank's objection. Maybe /proc/cmdline
28 > can be disabled, though. In that case ps wouldn't be able to see the
29 > arguments.
30
31 Yes there is that. A sysadmin implementing cron has 3 options:
32
33 - pretend there is no problem and ignore it
34 - devise a bunch of workarounds that will likely be tricky to use
35 - use file permissions to reduce exposure but not eliminate it. It's not
36 perfect, it's just better.
37
38 I'm not arguing for perfection, I'm just giving examples of improvement
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com