From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:21:58
1 On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Jeff wrote:
2
3 > Hey guys.
4 >
5 > I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard
6 > drive
7 > to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not sure
8 > what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
9 >
10 > # cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
11 >
12 > So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then
13 > archived on
14 > the destination machine.
15 >
16 you have a tar file you want transferred, or a directory called
17 backup? if it's a directory, i'd (from the target machine) ssh
18 sourcemachine "tar /var/backup/* -" > data.info.gz
19
20 see the very long discussion we had on this list about this a few
21 months ago.
22 > Help!
23 >
24 > :-)
25 >
26 > --
27 > Luke Skywalker:
28 > What a piece of junk!
29 > Han Solo:
30 > She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may
31 > not look like much but she's got it where it counts,
32 > kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.
33 >
34 > --
35 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list