From: bitlord <bitlord0xff@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mysterious vanishing of DNS entry of www.youtube.com...was I hacked?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:30:48
1 On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 19:16:12 +0100
2 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > the following happens some minutes before:
7 > I was searching on youtube for some reviews...
8 > and suddenly BOOM: "Server not found: Unknow host"
9 >
10 > I restarted firefox...which did not help.
11 >
12 > I did a ping & traceroute to www.youtube.com from
13 > the commandline...same results...
14 >
15 > Wireshark shows the DNS query to my DSL modem...
16 > and the answer was that from above.
17 >
18 > I rebooted my Gentoo box...no help...
19 >
20 > The problem vanishes as I powercycled my DSL modem.
21 >
22 > Any other access was working the whole time.
23 >
24 > Was my DSL modem hacked?
25 > Does anyone else noticed a glithc in the matrix?
26 >
27 > Best regards,
28 > mcc
32 Today everyone can make a dsl router/modem, and ISPs when they
33 give you equipment they want it to be cheap. I saw exactly the same
34 problem on cheap dsl routers, I don't have enough knowledge to debug
35 it, or to be sure if it is safe or not, it worked for months with no
36 issues, no reboots ..., one day it stopped working/resolving hosts, and
37 its dhcp server config doesn't allow "forwarding" of DNS servers from
38 WAN configuration, or manually setting one which will be given to the
39 dhcp "clients", so there are two ways, it can work as a proxy (send
40 its own IP as DNS server to clients), or it doesn't provide DNS, so you
41 need manually to configure each client.
42 If you restart the router, it works sometimes for few hours, sometimes
43 few days, but it will fail again randomly.
44 The only worrying thing is that it worked for months without an issue.