From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GarageBand
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:47:01
1 On 8/26/05, A. Khattri <ajai@××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 > > Your friend is not alone in his desires. For the 4 years I've been
5 > > doing Linux based audio I've wished, cajoled & begged for something to
6 > > replace Acid Pro. There is interest but no developer who'd been
7 > > willing to take up the mission and go make it happen.
8 >
9 > Hey Mark, have you checked out Agnula?
10 >
11 > (Do a Google for "Agnula GNU" ;-)
12
13 Yes, I've followed it for 3-4 years although I never ran it. I ended
14 up running PlanetCCRMA for about 2 1/2 years since I start with Redhat
15 anyway. It works really well for the audio apps they provide, but when
16 you decide you want access to other non-audio apps RPM distros get too
17 difficult to manage.
18
19 http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
20
21 This is a painless way for Linux newbies to get lots of audio apps
22 quickly. An FC3 install is about 45 minutes and the apps are loaded
23 within an hour, including initial system updates. The Planet is really
24 well supported out of Stanford and the guy who runs the whole thing
25 (Fernando) is really great. However, in the end it's no where near as
26 stable as Gentoo and I actually get really good latency from the
27 standard Gentoo kernel so I'm quite happy here.
28
29 - Mark
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list