From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:22:22
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan@××××××××××××××××.za]
3 > Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:48 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
8 > On Friday 08 June 2007, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
9 > > On Freitag, 8. Juni 2007, Aleksey Kunitskiy wrote:
10 > > > Hi all,
11 > > >
12 > > > Is it safe to move my linux system by using:
13 > > > #>cp -rp /mnt/old_part /mnt/new_part
14 > > > and approriate changes in grub.conf/fstab on new system location ?
15 > >
16 > > nope.
17 > >
18 > > cp -a if you really want to use copy. But doesn't kill that the
19 > > ctime/mtime making uninstalling things a pain?
20 >
21 > No.
22 >
23 > cp -a is equivalent to cp -dpPR
24 >
25 > and from the man page:
26 >
27 > -p same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps
28 >
29 > What the OP *will* have a problem with a copying /proc, /dev,
30 > /sys and
31 > other virtual filesystems. When I do this trick, I usually dd
32 > or tar or
33 > cp -a entire filesystems and then copy / with this trick:
34 >
35 > mount -o bind / /some/tmp/dir
36 > cp -a /some/tmp/dir /some/other/dir
37 >
38 > This ensures that only files actually on-disk are copied
39 >
40 > alan
41 Is it possible to handle the tar process from inside a liveCD
42 environment, and just tar the mount points (i.e. empty directories)
43 for the virtual file systems instead of trying to tar the virtaul
44 file systems themselves? Afterall, they are recreated at boot
45 time, aren't they?
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list