From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:04:29
1 On Monday 11 June 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
3 > > Of course, there's no need to grow the
4 > > filesystem, but you won't have more space than before because file
5 > > systems don't usually adapt to partition size.
6 >
7 > I am confused as to what you mean here. It is my experience that
8 > resizing a file system that has been dd'ed to a new, larger partition
9 > will cause it to take up that entire new partition (which is
10 > desirable). Are you saying this is not the case?
11
12 No, he's saying that you don't *have* to resize the fs, but then all
13 that happens is you have a (say) 60GB fs on a 100GB partition, wasting
14 40GB of disk space. He also say it would be nice to have an fs that
15 dynamically resizes itself if it finds it's not using all of the
16 partition, but that's not the usual way it works (if at all).
17
18 Hans-Werner's post is correct but also in convulted language with a
19 triple negative. Your original understanding is correct.
20
21 alan
24 Optimists say the glass is half full,
25 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
26 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
27
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
30 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list