From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SOLVED: Mysterious failure of ConsoleKit
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:11:19
1 On Thursday 23 December 2010 10:51:32 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > I guess all of you having this problem use baseayout-2/openrc with
3 > parallel service start. Try if rc_parallel="NO" in /etc/rc.conf fixes
4 > the problem. I had a similar problem with sshd [1] which disappeared
5 > after disabling parallel start.
6
7 Curiouser and curiouser.
8
9 I have rc_parallel="NO" (it's never been anything else) and I am on
10 openrc, but after rc-update del consolekit default and a reboot I can
11 log in again via kdm.
12
13 As with Helmut, ps shows consolekit running after login; it must have
14 been started by another service, but before /etc/init.d/consolekit would
15 have been run.
16
17 The original error message was precisely correct - it said the pid file
18 "was not created" (by /etc/init.d/consolekit). It misled me, though,
19 because what it meant is that the file had already been created.
20
21 The answer is apparently that consolekit should not be added to the
22 default run level.
23
24 Thanks to those who helped.
27 Rgds
28 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.