From: Jason Lynch <jason@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Idle Process Scheduling
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 06:07:50
1 On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:39:52 +0200, Sascha Hlusiak wrote:
2 > How do you know how many processes are running? What does 'top' say
3 > about CPU usage and load? Maybe dnetc has two threads, which can each
4 > occupy a core, so you have still 4 threads that are running, in 3
5 > processes. You still should get a load of 5 or higher.
6 > You don't have a lot of IO load, do you?
7
8 Technically, in the scenario I described, I only have two processes, as
9 dnetc is running with four threads. To simplify the situation, I created
10 a simple Python script that does nothing other than loop indefinitely. I
11 then start four separate nice 19 copies of it in four separate terminals.
12 At this point, top reports that each CPU is almost entirely executing
13 niced code. Load average is a little bit above 4, as expected.
14
15 At this point, I leave these four copies running, and execute a fifth
16 copy without nicing it, so it ends up with a nice value of 0. At this
17 point, cpu0 is executing almost 100% user. cpu2 and cpu3 are executing
18 almost 100% nice. Finally, cpu1 is almost 100% idle. (The actual CPU
19 numbering seems to shift around every so often.)
20
21 Thus, I have five processes, four at nice 19, one at nice 0, a load
22 average of just over 5, but only 3 out of the 4 cores are actually doing
23 anything.