From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] VPS has issues emerging everything
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:11:44
1 Hi there,
2 something went wrong during a previous update and now revdep-rebuild
3 will kind-of freeze around 30%. When it freezes like that, the
4 hosting company shows one of it's CPU core is used at 100% non-stop
5 and the rest is idle. I have tried `emerge -e world` and with system,
6 they all fail similarly.
7
8 I managed to reconfigure it to have a working console and started
9 the `emerge -e system` from the console. After a while it froze, but
10 typed a ctrl-z to suspend the process, then %% to resume it and it
11 "unlocked" it. It often hung like in between two phases of the emerge
12 process (like after unpacking source, or just before doing the
13 install, etc). I was able to resume the emerge like that a good dozen
14 times until now, and now it's really locked, not responding at all...
15 seems like all 4 cores are used at 100%.
16
17 It hung while emerging perl and I've included the output on the
18 console below so you can see exactly where it hung. I will now force
19 a reboot on it and retry emerging just perl, I will reply to the list
20 with my results of that.
21
22 [...]
23 make[1]: Entering directory
24 `/mnt/tmp/portage/dev-lang/perl-5.12.2-r4/work/perl-5.12.2'
25 sh writemain DynaLoader.o > perlmain.c
26 rm -f opmini.c
27 cp op.c opmini.c
28 rm -f perlmini.c
29 cp perl.c perlmini.c
30 echo av.c scope.c op.c doop.c doio.c dump.c gv.c hv.c mg.c reentr.c
31 mro.c perl.c perly.c pp.c pp_hot.c pp_ctl.c pp_sys.c regcomp.c
32 regexec.c utf8.c sv.c taint.c toke.c util.c deb.c run.c universal.c
33 pad.c globals.c perlio.c perlapi.c numeric.c mathoms.c locale.c
34 pp_pack.c pp_sort.c miniperlmain.c perlmain.c opmini.c perlmini.c |
35 tr ' ' '\n' >.clist
36 make[1]: Leaving directory
37 `/mnt/tmp/portage/dev-lang/perl-5.12.2-r4/work/perl-5.12.2'
38 Finding dependencies for av.o.
39 Finding dependencies for scope.o.
40 Finding dependencies for op.o.
41 Finding dependencies for doop.o.
42 Finding dependencies for doio.o.
43 Finding dependencies for dump.o.
44 Finding dependencies for gv.o.
45 Finding dependencies for hv.o.
46 Finding dependencies for mg.o.
47 Finding dependencies for reentr.o.
48 Finding dependencies for mro.o.
49 Finding dependencies for perl.o.
50 Finding dependencies for perly.o.
51 Finding dependencies for pp.o.
52 Finding dependencies for pp_hot.o.
53 Finding dependencies for pp_ctl.o.
54 Finding dependencies for pp_sys.o.
55 Finding dependencies for regcomp.o.
56 Finding dependencies for regexec.o.
57 Finding dependencies for utf8.o.
58 Finding dependencies for sv.o.
59 Finding dependencies for taint.o.
60 Finding dependencies for toke.o.
61 Finding dependencies for util.o.
62 Finding dependencies for deb.o.
63 Finding dependencies for run.o.
64 Finding dependencies for universal.o.
65 Finding dependencies for pad.o.
66 Finding dependencies for globals.o.
67 Finding dependencies for perlio.o.
68 Finding dependencies for perlapi.o.
69 Finding dependencies for numeric.o.
70 Finding dependencies for mathoms.o.
71 Finding dependencies for locale.o.
72 Finding dependencies for pp_pack.o.
73 Finding dependencies for pp_sort.o.
74 Finding dependencies for miniperlmain.o.
75 Finding dependencies for perlmain.o.
76 Finding dependencies for opmini.o.
77 Finding dependencies for perlmini.o.