From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:42:22
1 On 11 Feb 2010, at 01:14, Roy Wright wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> because to 'organize it properly' you would need a huge directory
4 >> tree plus
5 >> symlinks plus explaining notes to even simulate a small token of
6 >> the stuff
7 >> 'semantic desktop' can do for you..
8 >
9 > Haven't had a problem organizing my data in 25 years ... The only
10 > "benefit" that the semantic desktop seems to deliver is to waste
11 > resources.
12
13 I resisted in my last email the temptation to mention that some of
14 these complaints about semantic desktop sound like my father talking.
15 But there you are ...
16
17 >>> Also didn't read anything even hinting at
18 >>> security awareness of the technology which is really scary
19 >>> (imagine an
20 >>> attack that get's access to the RDFs,
21 >>
22 >> those RDFs are in your home directory. If someone can read your
23 >> home you are
24 >> screwed anyway.
25 >>
26 >>> it'd tell the attacker exactly which
27 >>> additional files to target).
28 >>
29 >> oh yes, reading stuff about emails tells him to read more emails.
30 >> That is
31 >> scary.
32 >
33 > But tagging files (say stock spreedsheets, bank records, financial
34 > bookmarks, tax records) with tags (say 'bank, money, finance') all
35 > in one place would simplify a targeted attack.
36
37 In the case of an attack ALL of your data will be stealthily copied so
38 that the attacker will go over it later.
39
40 >> and you can do that. Oh wow. That useflag only turns on soprano.
41 >> Nothing else.
42 >> Which means nothing. You are not forced to use that stuff.
43 >
44 > So just another database server wasting resources. ...
45
46 Do you also complain about the spellchecker wasting resources, as it
47 parses the words you type?
48
49 In my father's day they were taught spelling rigidly at school like
50 parrots, so they had no need for this new-fangled nonsense. In my
51 father's day they never made spelling mistakes (yeah, right!).
52
53 > This technology does not have a good track record (invasive cpu,
54 > memory, disk usage) for very dubious benefits. I have not found any
55 > cost vs. benefits vs. risks articles. Just a bunch of "we think
56 > this will be great if you just use it" type articles that can't even
57 > explain how it would be great.
58
59 My father can find all his banking records for the last 25 years
60 because he keeps them in a metal filing cabinet. He has to open the
61 correct draw, find the right file, leaf slowly through his bank
62 statements in order to find the right one. However well you claim to
63 have your files organised, I'll bet you waste time opening the wrong
64 drawer (clicking on the wrong folder) once in a while.
65
66 I, on the other hand, can find my statements by hitting ctrl-space,
67 typing "amex" and selecting the folder which comes up in the search
68 results. That folder is probably somewhere like /Documents/Personal/
69 Financial/Statements/Amex, but I don't need to know that (it could be
70 in Documents/Bank/ or elsewhere) nor do I need to navigate through
71 several folders looking for it. I just type what I'm looking for and
72 it's there.
73
74 Stroller.