From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless connection-sharing with networkmanager problem
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 05:18:35
1 On Tue, October 2, 2012 3:18 am, João Matos wrote:
2 > Dear list,
3 >
4 > I've been trying to get networkmanager working and use it to share my
5 > Internet connection with my Android.
6 >
7 > I have my wireless card working properly, since I can create a network
8 > with
9 > my phone and connect to it, using the networkmanager script from KDE.
10 >
11 > I've already enabled the "connection-sharing" user flag, and followed the
12 > instruction from
13 > http://simplehacksnreviews.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/simple-connection-sharing-with-networkmanager-how-to-connect-with-a-3g-usb-modem-on-linux/(just
14 > 4 simple steps), and tried many other configurations by myself.
15 >
16 > Apparently the configuration is ok, bcz my wlan0 gets itself a IP address,
17 > but my smartphone can't see the network I've *theoretically* created.
18 >
19 > I don't know why, the channel is -1 (0 Mhz) (networkmanager screeshot
20 > attached), and I think is should be the problem, but I don't know what
21 > else
22 > to try.
23 >
24 > Any ideias how to solve this problem? do you need any other information?
25
26 Can you please clarify if you want to use your mobile phone to provide an
27 internet connection to your laptop?
28
29 Assuming the answer is yes, you should only need to do the following:
30 - Configure your mobile to enable "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot"
31 - Configure your laptop to connect to your mobile as if it's a standard
32 WiFi hotspot/access point.
33
34 There should be no need to adjust anything else on your laptop.
35
36 The website you followed describes how to do it with a USB-connection.
37 That works differently then when using WIFI.
40 Joost