From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virt-manager
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:27:18
1 On Thursday, July 7 at 19:15 (+0100), john said:
4 > I am trying to start virt-manager but when I start the daemon
5 >
6 > /etc/init.d/libvirtd i get
7 >
8 > * Starting libvirtd ...
9 > /usr/sbin/libvirtd: error: Unable to initialize network sockets.
10 > Check /var/log/messages or run without --daemon for more info.
11 > * start-stop-daemon: failed to start
12 > `/usr/sbin/libvirtd' [ !! ]
13 > * ERROR: libvirtd failed to start
14 >
15 > Any suggestions???
16
17 Other than the obvious (which is to check /var/log/messages or run
18 without --daemon)...
19
20 My guess is that you have enabled the virt-network USE flag but the
21 system is not configured as such that it could start the default virtual
22 network. Among other things you need:
23
24 * iptables support in there kernel
25 * bridging support in the kernel
26 * tun/tap support in the kernel
27 * brctl (probably a dependency of the package itself)
28 * iproute2 (probably a dependency of the package itself)
29
30 Did /var/log/messages tell you anything (did you bother to look)? Also
31 libvirt has a log level that can be set in the config, you could
32 increase that (and also check the logs).
33
34 You should also check the logs.
35
36 -a